The Journey

This blog began in an attempt to provide resources and encouragement for homeschoolers. However, during this homeschool adventure, I've found it's also about life. Specifically about losing my own life, that I might find it in Jesus and thus discover the joy of REAL life. (Matthew 10:39)

In March, 2012, our family stepped out in faith again as we moved out to the country. The first step of faith was trusting the Lord to sell our other home before our emergency fund ran out. He is faithful, and though I was hoping this would happen sooner, He knows what we needed.

I just know that He is going to use these 5 acres and this old house to teach me even more lessons in abiding with Him...and I look forward to the Adventure!

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Our New Farmhouse: Storms, Rainbows, Chickens and More!

It's been quite a year for our family.  One year ago today we set out with a list of land for sale, snacks and water.  Though looking for land, we unexpectedly found a house on one of the listings.  From that point life became sort of a blur, first slow moving, but with the pace slowly picking up.  On March 9th we closed on our home and we moved in on March 17th.  

While we knew our prayers before, during and after all of this, it was still extremely difficult to wait for our other home to sell.  It finally did on October 24th.  God is faithful!  He did much in my heart and in my relationship with Him during those 7 months.  But that will wait.  For now I thought I'd post some pictures of our homestead!


Here is one of our farmhouse that we took in May.  I love the way the clouds look in relation to the house!
This was also taken in May.  One of many beautiful sunsets on the plains that we've had the privilege of witnessing.

The only photo I took of this particular flower while we were on our 2nd annual Ascension Day field trip!

A May thunderstorm on the plains.

A rainbow displayed against the backdrop of this same storm after it had passed over us.  I believe I had tears running down my face at some point during the storm as I sang Blessed be the Name of the Lord for the second time since moving to our farmhouse.  While we have not regretted our decision to move in any way, I can also say it has not been an easy road by any means.  But the Lord never says He will make our roads easy, just that He will be with us for the journey and give us the peace that passes all understanding when we hand things over to Him.  (Philippians 4:6-7)

While the rainbow could be seen to the east, here is a photo of the sun setting in the west.  We, my precious children and I, remarked that the rainbow reminds us of the Truth of God's Promises, even when we are in the middle of a storm.  My princess said that the sun is like Jesus shining on us!  Lord, may they remember You in the future storms of their lives!
 
A portion of our spaghetti squash harvest!  Praise the Lord for His abundance!
Our acorn squash harvest!

Finally!  The reason we moved to the country (at least in the eyes of our children perhaps)!  We picked up our 15 chickens from the local Feed Store on September 20th!  5 Light Brahmas, 5 Buff Orpingtons, and 5 Americaunas

Look how cute and fuzzy they are!

These are the Light Brahmas as chicks.  We got them when they were just 2 days old!

A close up of their cute fuzziness!

The multi-colored one is an Americauna.  I believe our princess and warrior named this one Chipmunk because of the dark stripe down her back.

Chickens eat, drink, sleep and provide fertilizer for the garden! : )

An outside play date for the chickens!  And time to clean out their bins.

Just a few weeks old and already trying out their wings!

So fun to play with the chickens!

Is it right to tease a chicken with a dandelion?  It was cute!

Wonderful to see our warrior with chickens on him.  He's been iffy with animals because they act in an unpredictable way (in other words they have their own minds and do things he doesn't expect).  Who knew chickens would help him with this?

My man really wanted guinea fowl.  Here are the three we picked out at a local farm store on October 20th.  We're up to 18 birds now!  Left to right these are Shadow, Boots (Brownie), and Snowball.

What could be more fun than playing with worms on a farm?  This is the hand of my fearless....princess!

Not only do we get beautiful sunsets here on the plains, we have amazing views of the full moon rising to the east!

This year's peanut crop! 5 gallons from only 9 plants!
Our new chicken coop!  Built in just 8 days by my wonderful man and father in law!
Our chickens in their new coop.  The garage is now chicken free!
The one with the red comb is our rooster, Blackie!  I have another post in mind about him, so check back soon!
The sun setting on the night we moved our chickens into their new coop.  November 17, 2012.  Our warrior turned 7 the next day and my in laws left for home.

Despite some of the challenges we faced this year, God has consistently reminded me that He is faithful.  I've learned to let go of things, even things I think I need.  I've also been learning about fear and how much it controls us if we let it.  My new prayer when I start feeling tense due to fear is, "I trust You Jesus, I trust You Jesus." The words from Psalm 56:3-4 also come to mind.  These are the first verses my princess memorized in 2011 with the Siesta Scripture Memory Team.

When I am afraid,
    I will trust in you.
In God, whose word I praise,
    in God I trust; I will not be afraid.
    What can mortal man do to me?
Psalm 56:3-4, NIV, 1984

No comments:

Post a Comment