The Journey

This blog began in an attempt to provide resources and encouragement for homeschoolers. However, during this homeschool adventure, I've found it's also about life. Specifically about losing my own life, that I might find it in Jesus and thus discover the joy of REAL life. (Matthew 10:39)

In March, 2012, our family stepped out in faith again as we moved out to the country. The first step of faith was trusting the Lord to sell our other home before our emergency fund ran out. He is faithful, and though I was hoping this would happen sooner, He knows what we needed.

I just know that He is going to use these 5 acres and this old house to teach me even more lessons in abiding with Him...and I look forward to the Adventure!

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Mommy "Moments"...You are NOT alone!

An interesting conversation came about at the start of one of the classes I teach at our "Monday classes."  (That is our term for the home school co-op we are involved with.)  One of the moms mentioned the last post and how much she appreciated it.  We were laughing about how we may have a "slight tendency" to want to be in control.  (Noooo! : )  Anyway, I said that I have found that no matter how "good" or "sinless" someone appears to be, we all have the sin of pride in common.  When it comes down to it, we all have some things we want our own way!  And that translates to pride.

I discovered this a few years ago (as I mentioned in the previous post) as I read and prayed through the Scripture prayers in the book Praying God's Word by Beth Moore.  This is a brief recount of how things went when I started that book (okay, as brief as my detailed side can be).  


The first chapter is on overcoming idolatry.  I thought it might be interesting to read, but wasn't sure how applicable it would be.  Then I began to read it.  I thought, hmmm, maybe I do have a few issues with this.  One that really spoke to me was taken from Acts 17:24-28.  I've copied that passage from the NIV below:



 24"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. 25And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else. 26From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. 27God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. 28'For in him we live and move and have our being.' As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring.'

The second chapter is on overcoming unbelief.  Again, as I began to read it, I thought it would be interesting, but wasn't sure how applicable it would be.  Would you like to guess what happened when I started to read it?  Yep, more issues.  

One of the most interesting things I've read from Beth Moore is her describing the difference in believing IN God and BELIEVING God.  Here is a quote from her book regarding a conversation she had with the Lord.  She said that the Lord adamantly said, "I didn't ask you to believe in Me.  I asked you to believe Me." (page 34)  Here are a few of my favorite prayers from this section:

"Faith is not believing in my own unshakable belief.  Faith is believing an unshakable God when everything in me trembles and quakes." (page 44)


"Father, please bring strong believers into my life so that we may be mutually encouraged by one another's faith. (Rom. 1:12)" (page 47)


"Lord God, please place someone in my path as needed who will continue with me for my progress and joy in the faith. (Phil. 1:25)"

The next chapter was on overcoming pride.  You already know what I was thinking, and what I discovered, I had pride issues.  Not just a few either, a lot.  Everywhere I turned I seemed to discover more areas where this was a problem.  (It would be more true to say "turn" instead of turned.)  I've already mentioned the verse from Ecclesiastes.  Here are a few others which spoke to me (especially in conversing with my husband):


"Father, You're teaching me that pride only breeds quarrels, but wisdom is found in those who take advice.  (Prov. 13:10)  Help me to discern the pride that is involved when I am quarrelsome."  (page 61)

"Father, You are calling upon me to be completely humble and gentle; to be patient, bearing with others in love.  (Eph. 4:2)  Please empower me with Your Spirit to be obedient to this command." (page 66)


You get the idea, I'm sure.  The fourth chapter was on overcoming deception.  I will share one of the prayers which I included in my "prayer cards" from this chapter:


"Lord God, surely You desire truth in my inner parts; You teach me wisdom in the inmost place.  (Ps. 51:6)  Please expose to me the deeply embedded lies I've believed and replace them with permanently engraved truth." (page 76)


To get back to my earlier conversation, we began to share with each other about our "other self."  You know, the one only our children see.  (Yes, that is a sobering thought for me too.)  Aside from the Lord, they are the ones who see ALL of us, aren't they?


Then we each shared how it was hard to believe another of the moms in that room could have a "moment" like that.  Some of the comments were how peaceful, organized, together, etc. another mom seemed.  Then a "gem" was shared.  One mom said something like, that must be a lie of the enemy to believe that someone else has everything together.  


This made me pause and think of how many times I've been in the middle of a "moment" with my children (or even my husband) and think, surely so-and-so wouldn't be speaking to her children this way.  Or surely so-and-so wouldn't have a conversation like this with her husband.  I'm learning that this is simply not true!  It is indeed a lie that the enemy tells us!

We all have "moments," though it's certainly true that as we grow closer to Christ these moments should decrease, not increase.  But we're human.  Sometimes it's when I have those moments that I realize how much I need a Savior.  It's also been the start of some good conversations with my children.  We all make mistakes.  We all need Jesus.  

In my "moment" I've demonstrated why God's way is the best way.  It also offers me a chance to apologize to them and ask for their forgiveness.  Think of the modeling I'm doing!  (I have to admit, though, I don't usually savor those moments and would much rather model other behavior!)  Again, we are showing our children that we're human, not perfect.  We show them how to humble ourselves before those we've hurt as well as before the Lord.  My prayer is that my children will continue to strive to be more like Jesus each day.  However, when they stumble, I hope that they will humble themselves before the Lord and those they may have hurt and allow Jesus to help them back up to try again.


To close, I'd like to leave you with this reminder from Hebrews 12:1-3, keeping in mind that God has marked you to be a mom to your children and a wife to your husband. 


 1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.  
Hebrews 12:1-3 NIV

 You are not alone in this race!

No comments:

Post a Comment