The Journey

This blog began in an attempt to provide resources and encouragement for homeschoolers. However, during this homeschool adventure, I've found it's also about life. Specifically about losing my own life, that I might find it in Jesus and thus discover the joy of REAL life. (Matthew 10:39)

In March, 2012, our family stepped out in faith again as we moved out to the country. The first step of faith was trusting the Lord to sell our other home before our emergency fund ran out. He is faithful, and though I was hoping this would happen sooner, He knows what we needed.

I just know that He is going to use these 5 acres and this old house to teach me even more lessons in abiding with Him...and I look forward to the Adventure!

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Words of Wisdom (not mine, but His)

Okay, recently on my facebook status I posted the following:

"A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense." Proverbs 19:11 "The end of a matter is better than its beginning, and patience is better than pride." Ecclesiastes 7:8

As a comment I wrote:    
"I have hidden these in my heart as they are especially applicable as a parent (especially when dealing with melt downs). They probably would be useful when dealing with adults as well."

A friend commented that she had read the Proverbs verse that morning, so I added the following comment as well:
"I have the proverbs one on my refrigerator. Another one I have up there that goes along with them both (and that A and A know) is "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." Proverbs 15:1"

Then another friend made the comment that these verses would make a good blog entry (I guessed that was a not so subtle hint).

So, here are some further thoughts on these three verses.

I discovered the Ecclesiastes verse several years ago in the Beth Moore book, Praying God's Word.  It is in the chapter/section on PRIDE.  Yes, you read it correctly, pride.  Wow!  God really began to show me that when I got frustrated or angry with my children, it was usually because they were not behaving according to MY plan!

For example, when my princess was in the 2s, nap time was when I would have time to do my own things.  Some days I was looking forward to that time/thing more than others.  On these days, I was very careful to "time" the nap of my princess and warrior (who was an infant) so that I would get the aforementioned time. Inevitably it was when I was "timing" things when my princess was not cooperating.  At first I would be so patient, but as the minutes slipped away and my warrior slept on, my patience would give way to impatience and the battle was on!

Anyway, God showed me that I was being prideful.  I wanted my own way, and when I didn't get it, I was not too happy about it.  There went the patience and in came the pride:  "The end of the matter is better than the beginning, and patience is better than pride."  Ecclesiastes 7:8

In April, 2008, I shared this while giving a testimony at my MOPS group.  One of the moms at my table made the following comment, "Surely that's not pride.  My husband has pride issues, not me!"  How funny that we see the pride in our husbands so readily, but not in ourselves!

Now, I will not claim to be perfect in this area, but I can tell you that a lot of battles have been avoided when I keep in mind what I want the "end of the matter" to be.  In other words, what is my goal within the context of the situation?

 I have Proverbs 19:11 written on a wipe off board hanging on my freezer.  It's been up there since Christmas of 2009.  I find it especially useful when my warrior (who tends to be a bit more strong willed than my princess), is being particularly difficult.  You know, those days where he seems to be testing me more often than seems possible (like once a minute!).  Or at least every time I speak to him.  In other words, he seems to be "offending" me at every turn in our day!

Now, to be fair, he's 4 while I'm...more than 4.  Often times he's tired and fighting allergies on these days as well.  So, a battle begins inside me.  I hear two voices:  "You shouldn't let him get away with this," says one, while the other says, "He's having a difficult day, you are his mom and should be walking along side him."  Proverbs 19:11 sides with the second voice.  (My husband is the one who reminded me I'm to "walk alongside our children.)  In fact, it says that my wisdom will give me patience and that "it is to [my] glory to overlook an offense."  Grace and mercy are often needed on these days more than the rod of discipline.


Proverbs 15:1 is written on the same wipe off board.  It goes hand in hand with the above situation.  I hold much power when it comes to the behavior of my children.  Not in every behavior, mind you (though I'd like to try!).  What I mean is that my response to them will do one of two things:  help them to calm down or send them over the edge.  When I stop to remember this, my "gentle answer" more often than not "turns away" their "wrath."


A bonus is that my children have also hidden this verse in their hearts.  There have been times when a conversation has "gone bad" between the two of them or between them and my husband.  In several instances, it seems the Holy Spirit has given me wisdom in talking with my princess and warrior separately.  I've asked quietly if they used gentle words or harsh words.  When they respond with "harsh words" we talk about what God says about that and what we can do next time.  They have seemed to understand this proverb well in these situations, which, of course, gives me encouragement for their future!


Well, this turned out to be a longer post than I thought it would be.  I hope that at least one of you has gained encouragement from it, even if it's simply knowing you are not alone when dealing with tempers, harsh words, and impatience.  I am so thankful we have God's Word to guide us through this wonderful gift called Life.

5 comments:

  1. I know that type of pride well! great post! --Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was nothing subtle about that hint! ;-)
    Thank you for the reminders and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Rebecca, thanks for the reminder and encouragement to post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really needed to read this today. I started reading "Don't Make Me Count To 3" today to help out with my little guy. Thanks for the great birthday present!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lorrie, I'm glad you found this helpful. You are welcome for the birthday present!

    ReplyDelete